The stories of an engineer, a stay-at-home mom, a crazy little boy and a girl who's full of spice.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Sarah's Key


Well, once again I have found an amazing book. I often am not interested in stories about the Holocaust because I find them so depressing. Also, I read "The Diary on Anne Frank" about a million times in school which ended up dulling my senses to the tragedy. Back then, I didn't even know that there were any other stories out there. Then I read "Maus" and "The Zookeepers Wife" which were very good and gave me new perspectives. However, neither of these stories touched me as much as "Sarah's Key". This one hit really close to home for me and I could not put it down.
Obviously this is a sad story, there were a few parts where I was crying pretty hard, but it also has a lot of hope and makes you reflect about what's important in life. The story switches views from a modern day American journalist in Paris to a young girl in France during the Vel de'Hiv round-up. I am shocked at how many people were/are affected by the Holocaust. I am grateful for those who are willing to share their stories and those who can forgive after such a tragedy.
I hope that you will read it!

3 comments:

Em said...

I think I will read it, oh and by the way when I got back in the car to finish the lovely bones it was practically over I don't like the ending not much closer for me.

AJ and Cindy said...

I might have to check this book out, I love to read and always like to find good books! Thanks for the tip!

Hoss.Rose.MiniB said...

I am reading The Help per your recommendation. So far I really like it.