The stories of an engineer, a stay-at-home mom, a crazy little boy and a girl who's full of spice.

Saturday, January 30, 2010

The Curse of a Mother


My mom and I often talk about "the curse of a mother." The curse works like this: when your baby is awake you want to them to sleep but once they are asleep you can't wait for them to get up. I hope that those of you who are mothers can understand and those of you who aren't will forgive me for how awful the curse sounds.
Here's the thing though, when Vaughn is awake I have a hard time getting anything done unless (*cringe*) I put on the TV to entertain him. But, as soon as I put him down for a nap or bed I miss him. I tried to explain this to Guy once and he thought I was crazy. I physically miss Vaughn sometimes even when he is less than 25 steps away in his room. I just want to hold, cuddle, kiss, hug, play...Once I lay Vaughn down and I am sure he is asleep I can't help but go and check on him. Here are a few pics of him being irresistibly cute.

Vaughn somehow fell asleep with his feet sticking out of the bars of the crib. He is one wild sleeper!
*Disclaimer: Vaughn does very well playing by himself but he has quite a bit of separation anxiety right now so when I leave to do something he wants to come with me. The TV will keep him distracted from me leaving. Please don't judge me for this; I judge myself enough about it!

7 comments:

ksteve said...

I totally understand my dear! When Nathan is snoozing I just want to hold or watch him. He's just so precious.

I can tear myself away for a bit, but I always have to go look at him a bit. Definitely keeps housework from getting done!

Kara said...

I feel the same way as you. I always miss Dallin when he is asleep.
And there is no judging here about the TV. I've done it with all three of my kids (yes, even Dallin. NBA basketball holds his attention) and will with any more that I have.

Sarah said...

Ha! I know exactly what you're talking about, though lately I've been doing a good job just appreciating the quiet time. And I'm definitely not judging you about the TV. I can't wait until it will hold Avery's attention, cause yeah - it's hard to get anything done with her wanting to be in the same room with me, either on my hip or getting into things.

Em said...

I had that more when she was a baby, now that she is older I only have it sometimes at night. But I do know what you are talking about, I thought I was the only one how funny.

Hoss.Rose.MiniB said...

I think Vaughn has grown out of the crib-good thing he has a race car coming his way!

skideewink said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
skideewink said...

Good Grief my spelling is really bad tonight! Even after almost 20 years I still feel the same way. And number 2, why do you think "A" can recite Little Mermaid word for word?? and Number 3, Vaughn just looks like he is getting to big for his crib, no surprise there,right? Nobody ever said this "job" was going to be easy! :)