The stories of an engineer, a stay-at-home mom, a crazy little boy and a girl who's full of spice.

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Pinterest...the cooking version

So lately I feel like I have been in a cooking rut. I cook the same general recipes over and over again. While I admit that a good pasta soothes my soul, my family is a little sick of it. And it is never fun to cook a meal and have so many leftovers that you feel like you are the reason for starving children in China. I know when I cook a good meal because there are hardly any leftovers left (and the ones that are left quickly get snatched up for lunch {and sometimes breakfast} the next day). So I asked myself, why am I wallowing in the sorrows of my leftovers when Pinterest has posts every day promising me and my family the best {insert recipe name} we have ever tasted?
Well fret no more! I am on a mission to cook these meals and report to my fellow cookers!
You may or may not know that I live on the edge. The edge of the United States that is. There are not a lot of good places to eat up here and the places that we do have are mobbed with grimy, greasy, single men. One of the restaurants I miss from Cheyenne is Chili's. I couldn't tell you much about their menu except for the sinfully delicious Southwestern Eggrolls and the equally delicious {put it in a cup and drink it with a straw} Avocado Ranch. So when I saw a recipe for a baked version I quickly pinned it. It's probably been over a year but I finally tried it. Here is the link to the original recipe:

http://www.cakeandallie.com/2011/02/southwestern-egg-rolls-with-avocado-ranch/
Cake and Dallie's Eggrolls
It looks delicious, right? I have three categories that a meal must meet if it is going to make it in the rotation (which is really just a sticky note inside my cabinet). First, it has to taste good. If it doesn't then I might as well forget it forever. Second, it must be somewhat healthy. Vegetables are good. Baked instead of fried helps. Can I use low fat instead of regular? Third, it must be relatively easy. I get burned out if I am trying to be a Michelin Chef every night.
This recipe got five stars in every category!!! Ok, I changed the recipe quite a bit but I will get to that in a second. My family (and our friend, Robert) inhaled the eggrolls. Vaughn even asked for one for dessert. Plus, they are relatively healthy!
Here is what mine looked like:

My Eggrolls, too bad I didn't get a picture of the ranch.
Please take note of my fancy food styling!
So since I was making this for dinner and not an appetizer I added one pound of ground chicken which I cooked first. Also, I doubled all of the spices that she used. It was pretty bland before I did that. The corn I used was a Southwestern mix that was fire roasted and had peppers in it. Yum! I also added a LOT of cilantro. But her base recipe was pretty solid. The Avocado Ranch, however, was another story. I made it just like she suggested then tasted it. It was thick and super mayonnaisey and grossed me out a little bit. So I added a lot more buttermilk (to get to a consistency I could stomach) and a tablespoon out of a ranch packet. I was getting closer to Chili's version but it wasn't there yet. More lemon juice...not quite there. Then I threw in the rest of my cilantro. That did the trick! I don't know how close it tasted to Chili's but the end product was something I would drink (it was pretty green though so Vaughn wouldn't touch it). I had the final 3 eggrolls for lunch today and I think they were even better the second day!

Fine print: There were 19 eggroll wrappers in my package. I filled them all and only had a minimal amount of filling left. I filled them pretty full. The texture of the wrapper would be better fried but it still satisfied my craving.

If you try this recipe let me know! If you have a recipe you love or one you have been dying to try, tell me so I can try it too!

4 comments:

Kara said...

This is awesome! I would love to hear reviews of recipes from someone I can trust! Thanks in advance :)

Aspen said...

I'm so glad I live so close to you!! I can try all your delicious cooking!!!

Sarah said...

I know what you mean about the rut...I feel like all we eat is some kind of meat, grilled, and a side of vegetables and fruit every night. Good for us, but getting old...but way easier than egg rolls :)

Em said...

Awesome! If you say it is good then it is good. You are one of the best cooks I know. You should keep doing this with all recipes :)